In between interior design work and homeschooling my kids, I finally got to document the final outcome of the Ikea Bekvam Stool that I’ve been working on. After applying Mod Podge to the whole top surface of the steps, I had to let it dry. I put two coats to secure the cut out wall paper decals. Mod Podge acts like a glue and varnish at the same time. I was pretty pleased with the final outcome.
Here are the steps to this DIY project:
1. Assemble the stool body without attaching the steps.
2. Paint the whole stool frame with latex or enamel paint. Latex has no smell,and is water- based. Enamel is oil- based and while it is more durable and is the ideal choice for wood, there is a strong odor.
3. Let the paint dry and apply a second coat.
4. Cut out any decals that you might want to use and apply it on to your steps with Mod Podge.
5. Paint a coating of Mod Podge over the entire surface of steps to seal the decals and “laminate” them.
6. Let the first coat of Mod Podge dry then apply a final coat.
7. Finally secure the steps to the stool frame.
You can chose to paint your steps too before applying decals but I liked the bleached wood effect.
How to Use Your Bekvam Stool:
1.Use your stool as a side table in a casual living room.
2. Use it as a stepping stool to reach overhead cabinets in a kitchen.
3. Use it as stepping stools for kids to reach the bathroom sink.
4. Use it as a stool for kids to reach high book shelves.