Guess where I am blogging from this morning? An uncommon place to do work, even for a work- anywhere person or work – at- home mom.. the hospital room. My son was confined for a severe tummy bug that hit him and we’ve been here for two nights. I finally got great sleep so today I get to write while he watches Pepa Pig on Nickelodeon. We were awakened by a nurse who had to administer IV medication, then I got my son cleaned and dressed for the day. After that, I found myself organizing the room! I couldn’t stand the clutter. I know some of you can relate to my weirdness so I’m sure you’ll agree with my next goal for #inspiredhomeliving..
I know of some people who find it hard to part with their belongings, leaving their home to look like one whole mess of a museum! Things can have some sentimental value but we should learn to only keep a few of the meaningful things and part with what we don’t need. Here are some useful tips which I shared in a recent talk I gave for a real estate company:
1. Dispose of anything you have not used in the past year and you don’t see yourself using any time soon.
2. If you find yourself attached to certain belongings, consider taking a photo of that object to turn into an art work or memento.
3. If it’s broken and beyond repair, discard!
4. If you have too much of one item…dispose or share them with others.
5. Remember that you can’t bring them with you to Heaven.
6. If you have no space to store things then you probably don’t need them.
7. What’s the worst thing that can happen if you throw them out?
8.”Less is more.” -Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
9.”Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” -Leonardo da Vinci
10. Spring clean on a regular basis.
There is something relaxing about a nice organized and pretty home right? One so neat and clean.. a bunch of fresh flowers and tasteful decor. Yes, the kids’ toys maybe on the floor but it is only momentary, everything is diligently packed away. The adults set the example until it becomes a family custom so be neat and organized. If others can do it, you can too! Take things one day at a time until purging and organizing becomes a habit. Soon you’ll be on your way to your own version of #inspiredhomeliving! Have a good day!