If you have stuff around the house that you no longer like, consider doing a paint hack. It can instantly turn your objects from boring to new. We bought this Ikea floor lamp in a dull grey color and I thought it would go well in my living room. As it turned out, it made things look dull. Situated beside our brown leather sofa, it was a boring sight. I thought of spray painting it to make it look more glamorous.
Here is what you will need:
- masking tape
- spray paint in your preferred color. I used matte black and metallic gold
- rag to dust the lamp off
- floor covering like old news papers
How to do it:
- Take the head apart from the body. Do this with parts of the lamp that you want in a different color.
- Tape other parts that are too close to something you want in a different color.
- Lay your newspapers to cover any surface you are working on.
- Start spraying one side and let it dry for about 3o minutes before doing the other side of your lamp if it is not accessible.
- Keep on spraying until you have the desired coverage and let dry between coats.
- Assemble back together when completely dry
Some things I learned along the way:
- Remember how you took things apart so you can put them back correctly.
- Do your spray painting in an outdoor space so you don’t inhale all the fumes, but pick a day that is not so windy.
- One spray can of each color is more than enough.
- Dust off the entire object before you spray paint to make sure you get an even effect.
Are you brave enough to try a hack like this? It wasn’t so difficult, even if I did get some paint on my fingers. Because I did not have a big area to work on, I had to spray the lamp as it was laid horizontally on the ground. If you do it standing, it may take a shorter time to finish because you don’t have to let surfaces dry between coats when lamp is standing. Let me know what you think!